Monday, March 26, 2012

What are these two gringos doing at my door?

That's definitely the look we get every day... haha
 
This was a pretty good week.  We found this pretty cool guy named David, who's been wanting to get back into church lately, and we said we'd help him.  We taught him all about the restoration of the gospel and he liked it and the Book of Mormon, and it was really cool to see the spirit help him.  It all started with an invitation to church, but then evolved into a full-blown lesson (by the way, does anyone know where the term "full-blown" comes from?  I would guess glass blowing or baloons or something, but I don't know; I've found myself a lt more interested in all the idioms we use as I've been learning spanish...) and when we invited him to be baptised, it was clear that he didn't quite get it all, but felt so good about it that he couldn't say no.  He isn't set with a date yet, but we'll be working with him to get him ready and up to speed.
 
The members here are great, and the branch presidency is really excited about missonary work, so we're going to be working very closely with them.  It's been pretty neat that just as I've gotten to every area so far, the leadership has been trying to put together a plan for more member missionary work, and since I've seen and been a part of all the plans thus far, I feel like I am well-prepared to help here.
 
In this area the spanish side seems to have been struggling for a while, so we're going to be focusing pretty hard on that for a while.  One of the biggest things, I think, is the personal commitment of the missionaries to speak spanish together so as to learn how to communicate more effectively, so we've set a goal as a district to speak more spanish together (at least three hours a day per companionship; I was doing more before, but it was in an all spanish ward with more advanced speakers).  We're also going to ask all of the branch members who know English and usually speak to us in English to just use spanish so we can better help their friends.
 
It's a bit easier to eat healthily in this area, because the members tend to be more health minded.  It seems like more of the hispanics in San Antonio are "americanized," which includes less lard in all the food... haha
 
Well, I think that's pretty much it for the week... nothing too story worthy happened. Oh!  Except one thing: while I was on exchanges with the district leader we saw an imprint of a toad in the cement where he must have gotten stuck while it was still wet.  It was a little sad, but also really really funny! 
 
There's also a custom here of carrying a stick whenever you're outside, to defend yourself from the dogs...  We don't, but it's been okay because I bacame quite the dog whisperer in my last two areas.  I can befrend most and intimidate the rest haha.
 
Anyways, that's really it.  Have a great week!  I love you! 
 
ttfn
 
Elder Katzakian
 

No comments:

Post a Comment